There’s a lot of paradoxical debate on giving a certain definition to Neurolinguistic Programming (NLP), The researchers urge to believe that it’s a methodology to a psychological approach which involves analyzing methods used by successful individuals and trying to implement them to achieve their goal, with the collective opinion of the practitioners it is said that this methodology is often a combined degree of art and sciences to analyze and review mind, therefore the language that our mind understands, which can help achieve the ability to subconsciously relate thoughts, language, and patterns of behavior learned through expertise to some anticipated specific expected outcomes, the subjective expertise is inscribed inside, NLP suggests that the subjective experience can be concealed in the individual by classifying them into three representational systems Visual (V), Auditory (A), and Kinaesthetic (K).
The founders are John Grinder and Richard Bandler, a linguist, an information scientist, and a mathematician. They had a completely remarkable question saying, ‘Why is it that some individuals get successful and positive results and compared to other people?’. They discovered that there is a distinction between the one who gets positive results and the one with unsuccessful results is that they need a special mannered course of action. Their communication with themselves or communication with the opposite people is an entirely different level. They started to discover distinctive patterns and variations among successful individuals that there are certain things, which quite often are the opposite of what unsuccessful individuals do. Thus, came Neuro-Linguistic Programming into existence.
The 3 basic motor functions mind does when grouping data is to:
- Generalize-giving it a meaning
Your brain is capable of accessing only 134 bits of information per second, even though it gathers 2.3 million bits/sec.
The minimum speed that the data passes around your brain is around 250 MPH.
In the current scenario where the change is very rapid according to the constant technological innovations, academicians and management experts around the world are in a paradox as to how to obtain a competitive edge to promote performance in this generation of severe competition. The globalization of the economy has opened up floodgates of knowledge and opportunities for them but globalization has also brought new challenges on how to manage them as well, probably the greatest challenge that is presented by globalization is the management of the human resource pools. This is valid at a macro and micro level. Human resource management is now assuming a greater role in strategic business partners. Fortune companies understand that genuine competitive advantage lies in their people. Here, steps NLP were many types of research were done and the results came out to be astonishing and trustworthy thus started a slow evolution on implementing NLP in many fields such as HUMAN RESOURCES.
NLP can be understood in terms of three broad components and central concepts:
- Subjectivity: Each of us experiences the world subjectively thus we create subjective representations of our experiences. These subjective representations of experience are grouped in terms of five senses and language. In other words, our subjective conscious experience is in terms of the traditional senses of vision, audition, tactician, olfaction, and gustation such that when we, for instance, practice an activity “in our minds review an occasion or foresee the future we will “see” pictures, “hear” sounds, “taste” flavors, “feel” material sensations, “smell” scents and think in some (natural) language. Moreover, it is asserted that these subjective representations of experience have a perceivable structure, an example and behavior can be depicted and comprehended regarding these sense-based subjective representations. Behavior is widely framed to include verbal and non-verbal communication, incompetent, maladaptive, or “pathological” behavior including and effective skillful behavior.
- Consciousness: NLP is foreseen on the notion that awareness is divided into a conscious part associate degreed an unconscious part. Those subjective representations that occur outside of human awareness comprise what’s named because of the “unconscious mind”.
- Learning: NLP utilizes an imitative method of learning termed as modeling that is claimed to be able to codify and reproduce an exemplar’s expertise in any domain of activity. A very important part of the codification process is the description of the sequence of the sensory or linguistic representations of the subjective experience of the exemplar during the execution of the expertise.
The use of Neuro-Linguistic Programming for the Human Resource Department begins from the time they’re into Talent Acquisition, here area unit a number of the uses of IP in HR:
- Distinguishing the profound estimations of every person which drives them through their professional career. Regardless of whether the ability of the competitor is phenomenal yet the qualities/values don’t coordinate with that of the organization, this individual is going to ruin the culture of the organization.
- Through the Meta Model questioning unit of time Managers will enter the applicant’s map of the planet to grasp their proscribing convictions, abilities, and so on.
- NLP provides a completely data-driven approach for resume screenings, which by not only giving you more time per candidate but it can also help you make better hiring decisions. NLP also enables you to rank and classify the candidate profiles, identify personal traits, and eliminate any possible human biases or favoritism.
- Goal setting through sturdy grammatical outcomes and after utilizing the wheel of life sporadically for each worker to grasp the standing and endeavoring from that time forwards to indicate signs of up results.
- Bridging gaps in the organization is one of the key HR challenges. Creating harmony amongst the departments, between employees and managers, to stimulate a peaceful and healthy working environment to see that no conflicts arise, this language is the key to diffuse conflict with ease. If you learn to use the right questions, you can close the gaps and build a bridge between the needs of stakeholders holding opposing views and in other scenarios as well.
- As most of the organizations have 80% of monotonous jobs daily, it is very important to keep the employee motivated to perform at his/her peak by utilizing maximum capabilities and skills. HR professionals can use the Meta Programming models to identify and understand what motivates the individuals to perform at their maximum level.
- During the tenure, there are numerous cases when the employee goes into shell or endurance mode, low on confidence levels. The HR manager practicing NLP can come into the play and use NLP tools and methods for the employee to beat the issue and overcome the Situation.
- Deadlines have always been a necessary evil in this fast-moving world, the direct manager concerned with a particular employee might switch the gears to coach with compliance reducing the motivation of the employee resulting in delay or low-quality performance. That is where Meta Programming steps into the play, the direct managers can be equipped with the ticking points of the employee and the direct manager can be coached by HR to change the training style to compassion rather than compliance.
- In the current era of globalization with rapid changes in the technology and absurd shifts in the market requirements, organizations need to change their way of working swiftly which may or may not be taken by the employee as they have to leave their comfort zone, they tend to see the problems in the new change expected. NLP practitioners have to step forward to set a proper course of action and change their orientation from problem to outcome, depending on the organizations which are willing to adopt new changes.
- Comprehending the strategies which are used to get successful results as well as detrimental results and then replacing the unsuccessful ones with the successful ones to create a win-win situation.
Human Resource professionals have always been the prime candidates for the adoption of NLP-based techniques, as HR is inherently people-centric and completely communication-based. This presents an opportunity for HR; it will enable HR to have better intelligence and greater leverage within the organization by giving a better chance of understanding yourself and others whilst looking at the bigger picture to see the world beyond what meets your eye. NLP for HR professionals is like a microphone to a singer. It plays a charismatic role to amplify and upskill their capabilities, it makes what you’re singing about more memorable and the effects can reach people at a deeper level it is basically when you hear a song that you adore and it has a great meaning for you, then you find that years later you are still able to sing it even if you haven’t heard it in a long time? That is the power of the microphone i.e. NLP. You’ll be impactful, memorable, and will create experiences such that people will sing about for years to come.
This article has been co-authored by Dr. Raul V. Rodriguez, Vineeth Goud and Yeswanth Reddy.